The following facilities and services are available at the Blood River Heritage Site:
What can you see?
– One of the most unique battlefields in South Africa
– A museum exhibit depicting the history of Blood River
– Unique bronze wagon laager and granite wagon monument
– Exhibit about Zulu culture across the river at the Ncome museum
– All the battlefieds in the 150km area (Zulu/Boer, Boer/Brit, Brit/Zulu wars)
– DVD show in the information centre about the battle of Blood River, 16 December 1838
What can you experience?
– Theme shop – open seven days a week. It includes commemorative items, books and post cards
– The ",Smouswa", gift shop
– The ",Trekker", kitchen restaurant: Breakfast, lunch and evening meals can be booked. Group bookings e.g. for Sunday meals may also be made.
– Traditional ",Boere", dishes
– Overnight facilities (4 x en-suite rooms)
– Bed and breakfast
– Camp site with 154 stands, electricity and warm water in the ablution block with dish washing facilities.
– Many camp sites without electricity
– Groups may view a DVD on the battle of Blood River and visit the site afterwards.
– School groups with their own sleeping bags are welcome to spend the night. Prior booking is essential.
– Many historical sites in the area. Includes die Great Trek, the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 and the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.